Wednesday, July 30, 2008

No more beach trip :(

So the last few days I have been in denial, but now I've come to terms with the fact that our beach vacation is a no-go. My little baby girl Tierra is in the vet hospital and has been since Monday night. Here's what happened. Monday night, she was bleeding a little and I noticed a lot of bruising on her abdomen and legs. When I saw the bruising, I knew something was wrong and we took her to the emergency vet. When we first got there, they took her right back. They came out a couple minutes later and asked if she had gotten into any poison or chemicals! Yea, that's not gonna scare me at all! But no, she hadn't. So they ran some bloodwork... 2 hours later, they said they wanted to keep her for the night because her platelets were really low. As in like, almost non-existant. So, needless to say, I was freaking out.

The next morning, they re-ran the labs and they were still the same. The ultrasound of her abdomen was normal, so that's good, I guess. It's probably an auto-immune disease that is killing her platelets. The only thing to do is just wait for her platelets to come up. The vet called me this morning to say that they wanted to keep her tonight, too, and then we will recheck things again in the morning and see where we stand. So far, her platelets haven't gone up at all.

Yesterday, we went to go see her and she is so sweet. She doesn't even act like anything is wrong with her. Of course, I took my camera to get some pictures, so here they are:






So there are two problems with the beach trip that seem to be hindering it, one is that the emergency vet certainly ain't cheap, and two is that when Tierra does get to come home, if her platelets aren't back to normal yet, she can't be around other dogs, especially Jasmine. If Jasmine were to pounce on Tierra (which is a great possibility), there is a chance that Tierra might bleed. The original plan was to keep the doggies at my parent's house while we were at the beach, but now, Titan and Jasmine have to stay with them anyway. And if we go to the beach, where will Tierra go? Therefore, no beach trip this weekend.

Hopefully tomorrow my little baby will be able to come home. Keep your fingers crossed.

1 comment:

Chez said...

aweeeeee girl I am so sorry! I'd be ballin my fool head off.

the randomness that is deah... thoughts, ponderings, and musings... with some scrapping thrown in